I wanted to join in on the awesome solar chandelier craze but after searching local flea markets I couldn’t find anything that was cheap enough so I ended up with this metal wall sconce for $4
It was in great shape so all I needed to do was to spray it with a couple coats of polyurethane since I wanted to display it outside.
Then it dawned on me, duh, it has no sockets to hold the solar lights.
And then I remembered I had ……
Taking several sizes of magnets with me I headed to Big Lots. They have all sizes of solar lights plus the dollar store has sold out of them. I quickly found that when I removed the bottom part of the solar light one size of magnet fit perfectly inside the part that normally would set in the socket.
This shows I stacked 3 magnets in the bottom of a solar light. The light is turned upside down. I found that I had to push slightly to get these in. They were all different though. 2 lights took 3 magnets, 1 light took 4 and 1 light only took 2. I didn’t want to force any more in and chance the plastic cracking. All were a tight fit so they didn’t need any glue. Of course the one with 4 had more magnet power than the one with only 2.
The lights were nice and tight against the metal candle holder. The magnets were doing its job.
I should have picked the smaller sconces BL sold but they were more expensive and I would have had to purchase smaller magnets too.
Then I thought perhaps if I painted it it would take away from the bulkiness.
continue reading on next page (>)