I love updating my home and one of the places in my home that has really needed an update is my laundry room. I have a decent size laundry room but there is an ordinary wire shelf over the washer and dryer that was not the prettiest and it was also a bit too high up for me to reach. It just made the whole room a bit awkward and while it wasn’t completely unusable, I have been hoping to make a few tweaks to it to make it a bit prettier and a bit more functional. Today I am excited to share my mini laundry room make-over with you!

Thankfully, as one of HomeRight‘s ambassadors, I was able to finally update this room with a mini laundry room make-over and I love how a few simple changes transformed this room into a beautiful and usable space. A big huge thank you to HomeRight today for inspiring me to get creative with today’s hack!

The challenge was to take this simple ClosetMaid storage unit and transform it. I also needed to use Valspar’s Chalky Finish paint and my HomeRight FinishMax for this project. Those were the requirements for the hack that HomeRight challenged us to. You know I love a good hack and this one was definitely a fun challenge! And I decided that this unit would make beautiful storage in my laundry room!

Here is what my laundry room looked like before:

Because my laundry room wall is so big, I decided to pick up two of these ClosetMaid 6 Espresso Laminate Storage Cubes, some trim (both decorative and also 1″ x 2″ wood, steel piping, 12″ wide wood, stain and Valspar Chalky Finish Paint in Kid Gloves. I already had polyacrylic and Zinser Primer at home. And I of course used my awesome HomeRight FinishMax for this project as well!

We began by assembling the storage unit, I left off the back. Then I used my FinishMax to spray primer onto the cabinet. I will be honest with you, spraying cheap laminate furniture can be a challenge. Sometimes I have success with lightly sanding the piece of furniture first and sometimes I just need really light coats of primer. This is a case where doing both is a good idea, but I just opted for spraying several light coats of primer onto the storage unit. I allowed plenty of dry time too.

After the unit was primered, I filled my FinishMax up with Valspar’s Chalky Finish paint. I had to thin this accordingly and again I opted for several very thin coats of paint. I also painted my primed trim as well.

While my new storage units were drying, we removed the wire shelf from the laundry room. We then patched the walls.

continue reading on next page (>)